Research Experiences for Undergraduates
The University of North Carolina Asheville (UNC Asheville), with support of the National Science Foundation (Award Number 1950432) and in cooperation with the NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) and North Carolina Institute for Climate Studies (NCICS), invite undergraduate students to Asheville, NC, in Summer 2024 to engage in unique, interdisciplinary climate-related research projects. Students will be guided by UNCA faculty, professional climate scientists, and/or private sector mentors in the beautiful mountains of western North Carolina.
Student researchers will receive the following benefits:
- $600/week summer stipend for 10 weeks
- Travel to and from Asheville, NC
- Registration, travel, and lodging to a national scientific conference the following year
- On campus housing and meals
- Access to campus recreational facilities and libraries
- Transportation to off campus research sites (selected projects)
- Weekend hikes and field trips
The REU will run from May 28 through August 2, 2024. Students will be based on the UNC Asheville campus but may work on projects at other climate centers in the Asheville area.
Explore the offered projects, learn about the REU site, and apply for the program below. Also read the FAQ for more information.
Learn about the array of interdisciplinary climate projects being offered for the REU and find your ideal match
Asheville boasts a plethora of outdoor activities, a unique culture, and a world class climate enterprise
How To Apply
Learn about how candidates will be selected, application timelines, and how you can apply for the REU program