The University of North Carolina Asheville (UNCA), with support of the National Science Foundation (Award Number 1950432) and in cooperation with the NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI), North Carolina Institute for Climate Studies (NCICS), and CASE Consultants International invite undergraduate students to Asheville, NC in Summer 2023 to engage in unique, interdisciplinary climate-related research projects. Students will be guided by UNCA faculty, professional climate scientists, and/or private sector mentors in the beautiful mountains of western North Carolina.
Student researchers will receive the following benefits:
- $600/week summer stipend for 10 weeks
- Travel to and from Asheville, NC
- Registration, travel, and lodging to a national scientific conference the following year
- On campus housing and meals
- Access to campus recreational facilities and libraries
- Transportation to off campus research sites (selected projects)
- Weekend hikes and field trips
The exact dates for the Summer 2023 Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program are still being worked out, but students should plan on a late May through the beginning of August. Students will be based on the UNC Asheville campus but may work on projects at other climate centers in the Asheville area.
Explore the offered projects, learn about the REU site, and apply for the program below. Also read the FAQ for more information.